CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dog Attack~5/5/2010

Dear Dog Owner,

Your dog has little man syndrome. It may not be curable. Get a clue and leave him on the leash at all times! If you are not smart enough to do that, you shouldn't own an animal. Maybe try a goldfish, they seem more your level!

Sincerely,

Run with the Wind


Last night I went out for a run, it was windy, oh how I hate running in the wind. I had just started to get pumped up because I had made it up both hills, wind pounding against me, without stopping and it was almost time for a little downhill section. As I start my way down the hill, and around a little bend, I see a black medium size dog in the bushes. I didn't see an owner so I assumed it was just a wandering dog. No big deal, right? WRONG! As fast as I had seen him standing there, he was on me trying to tear off my leg! I tried kicking him off, but he didn't let go until the owner came up the hill and started yelling at him! It was the type of moment that seemed to never end, yet really probably only lasted seconds. I think it scared me more than anything, but the guy apologized and said he had just taken him off the leash that he had in his hand. I didn't want to hear his excuses, I was ready for the downhill section of my run!
I started running and my leg started aching, I was so startled when the dog attacked me I didn't even look at my leg, so I stopped to check it out. It turns out the dog had bitten me in three places on my leg, it drew blood to the surface, but didn't break the skin. It was turning black and blue, but I figured I was fine and kept running. When I made it to the end of my run I called A to come pick me up, and told him I had been attacked. He couldn't believe it and when he saw my leg he started to get upset.
We were almost home when we saw the guy with his dogs, leash in hand, dangling in the wind. Adam pulled over, furious that he didn't put it on the leash as soon as it attacked me! He told the guy that if it would have been have our kids that had been attacked, or someone else for that matter, the cops would have been called, and the dog would be put down.
He apologized again and told us what a stubborn dog he was and that they were trying to train him to be better. Adam didn't want to hear his excuses either and told him that if you don't trust your dog put the leash on him, and leave it on him at ALL times! Because next time you may not be so lucky, he told him. The guy, who seemed as slow as molasses, FINALLY decided to put the leash on the dog.
The pictures were taken more than an hour after the attack, I had to finish my run, and they don't look that bad, but it is sore. If that were my dog it would be gone. I trust Harley more and more every day. As I sat inspecting my leg at home and taking pictures, she sat at my feet making sure I was going to be alright. When anyone in the house is sick, or in pain, she knows it and acts different and stays by that person laying by them until she knows they are fine. She has been around infants, toddlers (who like to pull, tug, and bite), wild running kids, and adults. She knows how act around all different ages. When she wrestles Koda, she puts her toy in her mouth on her own, just in case. When she wrestles Adam, she knows he is tougher, so she doesn't find her toy. When we bring birds in the house she, of course, wants to check them out. She is so excited she can't stand it, but I tell her SOFT, and she just smells and licks the birds. It would have been interesting to see how Harley would have reacted seeing the dog attack me. She has been attacked by dogs before and she cowards down, she is not aggressive at ALL! I am the master of the house, and she respects that. But with her master in danger, I wonder if she would have stepped up to the plate?



2 comments:

Sarah Haslem

that is my worst fear when going running.... I can only imagine how scared you were. I would have peed my pants~ glad you are okay...

Anonymous

WHAT?! Seriously. That is insane that the man didn't freak out and put the dog on his leash that instant among other things.... Aggressive dogs are all ticking time bombs. It should be put down I think. WHY ON EARTH would they risk it. A huge liability to them! duh.
Sorry about your leg!
Unfortunately our next door neighbors dog is the same way...